Take care of your hair while blow drying
If you are mindful of your hair’s vulnerability when blow drying, you can avoid unnecessary damage. Your hair has a delicate structure when wet, so take care. Too much heat can strip essential moisture, dry hair out and cause damage.
Tips for blow drying
- If hair is long or thick, dry in sections to manage one part at a time.
- Follow instructions on styling products and use one with heat defence.
- Use the medium heat setting to avoid harsh temperatures and prevent frizz.
- Hold your nozzle around 4 inches from the surface of the hair for correct air flow.
- Encourage cuticles to lay flat by directing airflow down the hair shaft, towards the floor.
- Keep the flow of air moving and avoid concentrating heat in one place.
- Avoid pointing hot air directly at the scalp to avoid burn.
- To smooth, dry hair fully throughout removing all moisture.
- Avoid over-drying, as you can strip out necessary oils. Stop once the hair is dry to the touch.
- Clean out the dust filter of your dryer regularly to keep it hygienic.
To help you improve the results of styling, I have more info and professional techniques in the basic care section of my blog. I cover diet, washing, care tips and blow dry preparation. As a bridal specialist, I have posts specifically for bridal hair which you can view in my next post.
Tweet you hair care questions to @hair4brides